1. Schlitz was the beer that made Milwaukee famous for...beer. It's now sold in bottles with something more similar to the original formula sold back in the 70s. Schlitz had since cheapened its formula and lost its cult following. Hopefully it's not too late for a comeback!
2. Known as the "beer that made Milwaukee famous", Schlitz beer was brewed in Milwaukee since 1849. After being one of the most popular beers for many years, Schlitz fell out of favor in the 1980's, but is now making a sort of comeback as a retro, nostalgic brand.
1. An adjective used to describe something that is Wisconsin-like, or a noun that simply means Wisconsinite. Wisconsinites are often called "Sconnies" outside of the state. The word is now gaining traction within Wisconsin as well, largely the result of the company "Sconnie Nation" that was founded by two UW-Madison students in their Lakeshore dorm room.
2. I beg to differ: my friends and I were using the term "Sconnie" during college in Madison in the 80's. I first heard it from a good friend who hailed from Oshkosh. He now lives in Seattle, and we bought some of the original Sconnie Nation sweatshirts several years ago and had a reunion, specifically to mourn the fact the WE didn't copyright the term. The Sconnie Nation owners can confirm this.
3. Although many naysayers are correct in saying that "Sconnie" is not a term often used by real Wisconsinites, it is certainly a legitimate term, as it is used in other states in reference to Wisconsinites. In Michigan, a Sconnie is someone from Wisconsin.
4. A bogus term made up to sell t-shirts. True Wisconsinites will confirm that no one from Wisconsin uses this term to refer to each other.
The infamous NYC street vendor hot dog, generally Sabrett's brand shoved haphazardly into a soggy bun and topped with a variety of gloppy condiments. The consumption of this NYC grab-and-go staple is almost an urban rite of passage and the Manhattan version of Russian Roulette.
1. Stinky water from the gutters that mixes with garbage. Don't step in the polio water, or else the polio smell will stick with you all day.
2. Polio Water - A puddle of water.
Slang for someone from Newark