A very unique term to New Orleans for the median of a street. The Spanish and French, who effectively split the city in two, could do business on the "neutral ground" of city streets.
1. Mt. Horeble, or Mt. Horrible, is a derogatory name for the town, often invoked by local high schoolers to describe Mt. Horeb's alleged lackluster assets or traditional, closed mindset
2. I've lived in Mt. Horeb and I've never heard this nickname.
3. A playfully derogatory nickname for Mount Horeb.
1. Italian swear word used commonly, since most of the city is Italian. Let's just say it's an f-word.
2. New York Italian slang for the "f word"
The people in Buffalo are a very religious bunch (mostly Roman Catholic), as well as very taken to their alcohol.
A nickname for Salem, Massachusetts, because of the Salem Witch Trials, which took place in and around Salem in 1692 and 1693. More than 150 people were accused of being witches, 19 of which were hanged for the crime of being a witch and one of which was pressed to death for refusing to enter a plea.
Much study has gone into what caused the hysteria and...