Theodore Roosevelt was shot in front of Milwaukee's Gilpatrick Hotel in 1912. The then presidential nominee for the Progressive Party was shot in the chest, but went on to deliver his speech later that day because the bullet was slowed down by a glass case and a manuscript. They don't make'em like they used to!
1. Question from an Italian beef vendor about whether you would like it dipped in the juice or not.
2. Chicagoans used to refer to Italian Beef as "Dago Beef," but this practice became has been phased out in the last few decades as the term has been recognized as highly offensive.
Joe the Plumber, actually Samuel Joseph Wurzelbacher, became an instant celebrity when John McCain mentioned him (several times) in the third presidential debate for the 2008 election. Apparently "Joe" asked Barack Obama's plan to tax people making over $250,000 because he was about to buy a plumbing business that makes about that much money. After the debate he soon became the poster child for the American workingman (or woman) who would get taxed a greater amount on his hard-earned income. Wurzelbacher now has his own agents and is reported to have been offered a country music contract with a major label. It has yet to be seen whether "Joe the Plumber" can turn his 15 minutes of fame into something more sustainable, or if he should stick to his plumbing gig.
1. The official name for the downtown celebration of Halloween in Madtown. The event takes place on State Street. The cost for admission in 2007 was $5 and included access to a variety of bands.
2. Freakfest: The newly renamed premier Halloween event in Madison, WI on State Street. Numerous corporations as well as the city of Madison now sponsor the event in a controlled manner, providing security and music in the form of bands. One of the first bands that performed during Freakfest involved an acoustic guitar...during Halloween...on State Street...in Madison...in a song about how sad the lead singer was about losing his girlfriend. Attendance at Freakfest during 2006 and 2007 was expectedly, lower than previous years.
3. Freakfest is a city sponsored event on state street that was invented in 2007 for the sole purpose of coopting the spontaneous unsponsored event that had been taking place for years before. Before freakfest was invented, halloween on state street was known for being a wild drunken costume party where the attendees frequently clashed with police. Freakfest was invented in an attempt quell the reoccurence of these "riots."
Cheeseheads can refer to either 1) the foam cheesehead hats made by Foamation, 2) Wisconsinites, or 3) Green Bay Packer fans.