1. The official name for the downtown celebration of Halloween in Madtown. The event takes place on State Street. The cost for admission in 2007 was $5 and included access to a variety of bands.
2. Freakfest: The newly renamed premier Halloween event in Madison, WI on State Street. Numerous corporations as well as the city of Madison now sponsor the event in a controlled manner, providing security and music in the form of bands. One of the first bands that performed during Freakfest involved an acoustic guitar...during Halloween...on State Street...in Madison...in a song about how sad the lead singer was about losing his girlfriend. Attendance at Freakfest during 2006 and 2007 was expectedly, lower than previous years.
3. Freakfest is a city sponsored event on state street that was invented in 2007 for the sole purpose of coopting the spontaneous unsponsored event that had been taking place for years before. Before freakfest was invented, halloween on state street was known for being a wild drunken costume party where the attendees frequently clashed with police. Freakfest was invented in an attempt quell the reoccurence of these "riots."
Refers to the gentrifying effect of the University of Pennsylvania on the West Philadelphia area.
1. The improper way to pronounce Louisville (LOOuhville).
2. This is how an outsider would pronounce Louisville. Some outsiders who've been to Louisville will try to pronounce the city's name like a local out of respect for the local pronunciation, and even go as far as to correct people when they pronounce it "LOO-ee-vill." I usually point out to these people that King Louis XVI's name is most often pronounced "LOO-ee" and not "LOO-uh." That's not to say that the local pronunciation is wrong, but that "LOO-ee-vill" is certainly valid.
Besides, in English we almost always alter the pronunciation of places to fit our particular language and/or pronunciation. For example, is "Germany" the locals' word for Germany? In Iraq do the locals call their country "eye-RACK" or "eye-ROCK?" Let me help you out--they don't.
A type of relish made primarily from peppers, beans and onions.
Freakfest is a city sponsored event on state street that was invented in 2007 for the sole purpose of coopting the spontaneous unsponsored event that had been taking place...