Virgin Vault: Madison, WI
1. The virgin vault was the former all-female Elizabeth Waters dormitory at the University of Wisconsin. It has recently been made co-ed, however, so the virigns have been let out...
Screwston: Houston, TX
A popular--and relatively new--nickname for the city of Houston, which refers to “chopped and screwed,” an authentically Houston style of music.
Keep Austin Weird: Austin, TX
1. Keep Austin Weird was a slogan initiated by the Austin Small Business Alliance to help promote the city and its local businesses. Local street character Leslie Cochran didn't come up with the phrase, but he has become the poster child for it, although unofficially. It has since been trademarked and is now marketed on all sorts of merchandise.
2. A local motto in recent years used to promote the city’s eccentricity and diversity. It featured on innumerable bumper stickers and t-shirts.
Penntrification: Philadelphia, PA
Refers to the gentrifying effect of the University of Pennsylvania on the West Philadelphia area.
Congo Square: New Orleans, LA
1. Town square in the Treme neighborhood where slaves used to meet on Sundays to dance.
2. Sunday was the slave's day off. They would meet at "Place de Negres," which is now called Congo Square. Treme is the cradle of African American music in the New Orleans area, and Congo Square is ground zero.