Harvard on the Hill: Peoria, IL
1. The playful nickname for Illinois Central College on the bluff in East Peoria.
2. Nickname for Illinois Central College, the local community college, poking fun at the school since almost anyone can get in there and it's thought of as a grown-up version of high school.
Strib: Minneapolis, MN
(noun) Common nickname for the Minneapolis Star Tribune, a daily newspaper.
Porkopolis: Cincinnati, OH
A nickname for Cincinnati in recognition of its former status as a major pork industry center.
Hodag: Rhinelander, WI
1. The hodag is the official mascot of the Rhinelander area. The mythical beast is the the local high school's mascot. The University of Wisconsin-Madison's ultimate frisbee team has followed suit. They're called the Wisconsin Hodags.
2. The mascot for the Rhinelander area, the hodag is a mythical creature that resembles a large horned lizard-like beast.
Duck Blind: Madison, WI
1. Officially called the "The Great Dane Duck Blind", this is of the ways you can watch the Madison Mallards baseball team. The Duck Blind tickets include all you can eat food and all you can drink beverages (beer and soda). Of course there is plenty of Great Dane beer.
2. They call it the "Duck Blind" because nobody watches the games. I was there last night and almost got hit in the head by an errant foul ball. Having my life flash before my eyes was just an added bonus to an already great time. The entrance fee is a little spendy ($30 with beer, or $25 for just soda), but you can eat and drink all you want for several hours, and maybe even watch some baseball if you care to take a gander. (Yes, that's Mallard humor.)
Keep Austin Weird: Austin, TX
Keep Austin Weird was a slogan initiated by the Austin Small Business Alliance to help promote the city and its local businesses. Local street character Leslie Cochran didn't come up with the phrase, but...
White Soda: Milwaukee, WI
Milwaukee-speak for clear soda, such as 7-Up or Sprite.